Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for JOHN-THE-EVANGELIST (ST.)

JOHN-THE-EVANGELIST (ST.), a parish and a subdistrict in Westminster district, Middlesex. The parish is part of Westminster city; was formed out of St. Margaret-Westminster; extends from Victoria Tower, along the Thames, opposite Lambeth, past Vauxhallbridge; has post offices under London SW; contains Vincent-square, Millbank prison, the Grenadier Guards hospital, the Coldstream Guards hospital, and the Scots Fusilier Guards hospital; and is ecclesiastically divided into St. John, Holy Trinity, St. Matthew, St. MaryTothill-Fields, St. James-the-Less, and part of St. Stephen-Rochester-row. Acres, 260; of which 50 are water. Real property, with St. Margaret, £413, 193; of which £44, 318 are in railways. Pop. of St. J. alone, in 1851, 34, 295; in 1861, 37, 483. Houses, 3, 723. Pop. of Holy Trinity section, 6, 365; of St. Matthew, 7, 536; of St. Mary, 6, 034; of St. James-the-Less, 3, 727; of the part of St. Stephen, 3, 360; of the whole of St. Stephen the other part of which is in St. Margaret-7, 127. Inmates, at the census of 1 861, in Millbank prison, 1, 032; in the three hospitals, 66, 90, and 97. Millbank prison stands adjacent to the Thames, immediately below Vauxhallbridge; occupies upwards of 16 acres, very little above the river's level; was built in 1799-1816, after designs by Jeremy Bentham, at a cost of about £500, 000; comprises a central house for the governor, and six piles of building, radiating from that house, and terminating externally in towers, with external or boundary walls in the form of an irregular octagon; is used for convicts, both male and female; has capacity for 1, 120 prisoners; and costs annnally about £33, 000. The site of it was bought from the Marquis of Salisbury. St. John s church was built in 1721-8, after designs by Vanbrugh; and has N and S porticoes, and four corner towers or belfries. Holy Trinity church was built in 1850, by Archdeacon Bentinck. St. Matthew's church was built in 1850-1, at a cost of £13, 862. St. Mary's church was built in 1837. St. Stephen's church was built in 1847-50, by gift of Miss Burdett Coutts, after designs by Ferrey; and has a floor of encanstic tiles, an abundance of carved work, a panelled chancel ceiling, coloured with blue and gold, and oak roofs on the naVe and aisles. St. James' church was built in 1861, as a memorial to the late Bishop of Gloucester, by his daughters, the Misses Monk, at a cost of more than £9, 000; is in the Northern Gothic style, of deep red bricks, banded with courses of black bricks; and has a detached tower, 20 feet square, with a heavy spire. Peterborough House, the seat of the first Earl, is in the parish, and passed to the Grosvenors. Col. Blood lived in Tufton street. The mechanics' house, on a site of two acres, with accommodation for 1, 000 persons, was built in 1851, on occasion of the Great Exhibition. The living of St. John is a rectory, that of St. Stephen a Vicarage, the others p. curacies, in the diocese of London. Value of St. John, £280; * of Holy Trinity, £500; * of St. Matthew, £500; of St. Mary, £500; * of St. James, £500; of St. Stephen, £500. * Patron of St. John, the Crown; of Holy Trinity and St. James, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster; of St. Matthew and St. Mary, the Rector of St. John; of St. Stephen, the Bishop of London.—The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Westminster St John the Evangelist CP       Westminster PLU/RegD       Middlesex AncC
Place names: JOHN THE EVANGELIST ST     |     ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
Place: Westminster

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.