Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KENTFORD

KENTFORD, a parish, with a village, in Mildenhall district, Suffolk; on the river Kennet and on the Cambridge and Bury railway, at the boundary with Cambridge, near Icknield street, 4½ miles NE by E of Newmarket. Post town, Newmarket. Acres, 798. Real property, £1, 142. Pop., 210. Houses, 45. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Rev. W. Godfrey. The living is a rectory, annexed to the vicarage of Gazeley, in the diocese of Ely. The church is decorated English; has a small tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. Charities, fuel for the poor.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish, with a village"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Kentford CP/AP       Mildenhall PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Kentford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.