Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KINGSTON

KINGSTON, a parish in Kingsbridge district, Devon; on the river Erme and the English channel, 3¼ miles SW of Modbury, and 7 S of Ivybridge r. station. Posttown, Aveton-Gifford, under Ivybridge. Acres, 2, 373; of which 140 are water. Real property, £2, 828. Pop., 451. Houses, 103. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Ermington, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is good, and has a tower. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kingston CP/Ch       Kingsbridge PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Kingston

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.