Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KNODDISHALL

KNODDISHALL, a village and a parish in Blything district, Suffolk. The village stands 1½ mile W of Leiston r. station, and 3 ESE of Saxmundham; and has a post office under Saxmundham. The parish contains also the village of Coldfair-Green, and the quondam parish of Buxlow; and is sometimes called Knodishall-cumBuxlow. Acres 1, 143. Real property, £3, 173. Pop., 442. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. There are clay and sand pits. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Buxlow, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £486. Patron, T. Ayton, Esq. The church is Norman, has a flint tower, was recently repaired, and stands on a hill.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Knodishall AP/CP       Blything PLU/RegD       Suffolk AncC
Place: Knodishall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.