Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LAVENDON

LAVENDON, a village and a parish in Newport-Pagnell district, Bucks. The village stands 1 mile W of the river Ouse, at the boundary with Beds, 2½ miles NE of Olney, and 6½ W of Oakley r. station; was once a market town; has still a fair on the second Tuesday before Easter; and has a postal letter box under Newport-Pagnell. The parish comprises 2, 320 acres. Real property, £3, 391. Pop., 820. Houses, 182. The property is divided among a few. The Grange is the seat of B. S. Brookes, Esq. A premonstratensian canonry was founded here, in the time of Henry II., by John de Bidun; and was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Edmund Peckham. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Cold-Brafield, in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £284. * Patron, the Rev. W. Tomkins. The church is partly Saxon, partly of later date; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; was recently restored, at a cost of £800; and contains four piscinæ. There are a national school, and church lands £32.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lavendon AP/CP       Newport Pagnell PLU/RegD       Buckinghamshire AncC
Place: Lavendon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.