Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LAWHITTON

LAWHITTON, a village and a parish in Launceston district, Cornwall. The village stands near the river Tamar at the boundary with Devon, 2½ miles SE of Launceston r. station; was once a market town; and has a post office under Launceston. The parish is partly within Launceston borough. Acres, 2, 629. Real property, £3, 182. Pop., 435. Houses, 95. Pop. of the part in Launceston m. borough, 61; of the part in L. p. borough, 374. A palace of the bishops of Exeter was here, but has disappeared. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £437.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient, and has a tower. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Lawhitton CP/AP       Launceston PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Lawhitton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.