Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for LEFTWICH

LEFTWICH, a township in Davenham parish, Cheshire; on the river Dane, and extending 1½ mile S of Northwich. Acres, 972. Real property, £8,147. Pop., 2,627. Houses, 559. The manor belonged anciently to the Vernous, as part of the barony of Shipbrook; passed to the Wilbrahams and the De Winningtons; and belongs now to John H. Harper, Esq. of Davenliam Hall. Leftwich Old Hall is now occupied by T. Dean, Esq.; and Brockhurst Hall is the seat of W. Worthington, Esq. Salt is extensively manufactured; and the building of boats and flats is largely carried on. Danebridge church, national schools, an infant school, and Northwich workhouse are here. The church was built in 1849, at a cost of £2,300; and is in the early English style. The national schools are a brick building, and have capacity for about 120 scholars. The workhouse, at the census of 1861, had 110 inmates.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Davenham CP/AP       Leftwich Tn/CP       Cheshire AncC
Place: Leftwich

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.