Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARPURHEY

HARPURHEY, a township and a chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire. The township lies on the river Irk, near the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, within Manchester parliamentary borough, 2 miles NNE of the centre of Manchester; and has a post-office under Manchester and a police station. Acres, 192. Real property, £3,476. Pop. in 1851,458; in 1861,827. Houses, 152. The increase of pop. arose from participation in the prosperity of Manchester. The property formerly was all in one estate; but, in 1846, lay divided among several. The Queen's park, an ornate public park of Manchester, comprising about 30 acres, and formed in 1845, is here; and the Manchester General cemetery, comprising about 11 acres, and formed in 1837, is adjacent to the Queen's park. There are a silk mill, two cotton mills, and three bleach and dye works.—The chapelry includes also the township of Moston, together with another and contiguous portion of Manchester parish; bears the name of Harpurhay-cum-Moston; and was made ecclesiastically parochial in 1854. Pop., 5,126. Houses, 1,042. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, not reported. * Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1838, at a cost of upwards of £4,000; is in the early English style; and has a lofty spire. There are chapels for Independents and Wesleyans.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Harpurhey Tn/CP       Manchester CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place names: HARPURHAY CUM MOSTON     |     HARPURHEY
Place: Harpurhey

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.