Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Ropley

Ropley, par. and vil. with ry. sta., Hants, 4 miles E. of Alresford, 4684 ac., pop. 875; P.O.; is a resort of sportsmen; Roman torques have been found; Arch-bishop Longley (1794-1808) was a native.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "parish and village with railway station"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ropley CP/Ch       Hampshire AncC
Place: Ropley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.