Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Southend

Southend.-- seaport and watering-place with ry. sta. (Southend on Sea), Essex, on estuary of river Thames, opposite Sheerness, 3 miles NW. of Shoeburyness and 42 miles E. of London by rail, pop. 7979; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 2 newspapers. Southend is conterminous with Prittlewell par., is a local government district, and has become a popular resort of Londoners during the summer and autumn months. The pier is nearly 1¼ mile long, and has a tram-line for passengers arriving by steamer. There are splendid baths, a literary institution, a reading-room, and all the appliances of a popular watering-place. The view of the Thames is very pleasant, and many of the houses command extensive sea prospects. The town is rapidly rising in importance as a place of commerce, and carries on an active coasting trade. Steamers ply daily to Sheerness, Gravesend, and London.


(John Bartholomew, Gazetteer of the British Isles (1887))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "seaport"   (ADL Feature Type: "harbors")
Administrative units: Southend on Sea MB/CB       Essex AncC
Place: Southend on Sea

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.