Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for WINDSOR (New)

WINDSOR (New), a parish in Windsor district, Berks; containing the greater part of Windsor borough-Post town, Windsor. Acres, with Windsor Castle, 3,237. Pop. in 1851, 6,553; in 1861, 6,728. Houses, 1,142. The living of St. John is a vicarage, that of Holy Trinity is a rectory, and that of All Saints is a chapelry, in the diocese of Oxford. Value of St. J., £900;* of the other s, not reported. Patron of St. J. and H. T., the Lord Chancellor; of A. S., not reported. The churches, chapels, schools, and charities are noticed in our article on Windsor.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: New Windsor CP/AP       Windsor PLU/RegD       Berkshire AncC
Place names: NEW WINDSOR     |     WINDSOR     |     WINDSOR NEW
Place: Windsor

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.